Monday, June 18, 2012

Sushi


When I was younger sushi was one of those things that I didn't know much about but knew I didn't like it. The idea of eating anything raw was already too much to imagine but eating something that was as smelly as fish raw was completely unthinkable. In high school I met some friends who loved sushi and introduced me to the pre-packaged sushi you can find at many grocery stores today. They usually came in about 6 pieces and I would like 4 of them. Finally I decided to try some fresh sushi and went to a sushi bar not too far from my high school. I ordered a simple California roll because that’s the roll I tried in the pre-packaged sushi. It was absolutely delicious and this made me want to try different rolls on this extensive list the sushi bar had. Throughout my senior year of high school I went back to the sushi bar and figured out that I really like rolls with eel, which are typically cooked. Which was a surprise to me because I thought all sushi was raw fish. Once I came to college I noticed there were several places that had sushi bars in my area, so I’ve been going to them over the years looking for the best sushi and the best deals. While going to these sushi bars, I learned that sushi can be deep fried which was completely mind blowing. Ironically the deep fried sushi is my least favorite. My journey with sushi has been one of growth and appreciation. Now I have a love for sushi and a level of respect from sushi chefs that I never guessed would’ve existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment