Saturday, July 7, 2012

Chicago Mom and Pop Restaurants


Today I went to go visit my grandma with my mother and aunt and the center of our conversations was food. We talked about all this small mom and pop restaurants in Chicago we used to eat at when I was younger and even when they were younger. One place I remember vividly, well not really the place I actually remember their tacos vividly, was a place on 51st which was right around my aunt’s house when I was growing up. Their meat was so fresh and the seasonings were perfect for a taco. The cheese was a tangy rich cheese that would be melted perfectly. Another place I remember eating at was a place called Nick’s gyros which had a couple of locations and they truly lived up to their name. Their gyros have yet to be topped in my eyes. They make it just like every other place I’ve gotten a gyro from but it’s just something about theirs that makes them stand out. My aunt and mom both talked about this restaurant called Barbeque Unlimited which has expanded and have an attachment called Soul Food Unlimited. They talked about how amazing the barbeque was and how they would go there whenever they were out late. Then once they expanded, their soul food was nothing shy of amazing as well. My mom said that she loves that the food so much that she believes if they had a parking lot they would have lines out the door. I haven’t personally eaten there yet but I plan on trying it soon. My love for soul food has always been satisfied by Morrison's Soul Food so Unlimited has a lot to prove

No comments:

Post a Comment